Dolly Parton's Imagination Library is a universal book-giving program that mails a free, age-appropriate book directly to a young child’s home every month. To receive a monthly book, children must be under the age of five and parents must register them.
TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD:
- Visit: www.smartstart.org/dpil
- Call Carla Heppert at Children & Youth Partnership -- (252)441-0614
- Complete a registration form (found on the back of the Dolly Parton's Imagination Library brochure). Brochures are located at all Dare County Libraries, Surf Pediatrics & Medicine, Outer Banks Family Medicine in Avon, the Dare County Department of Public Health, and the Dare County Department of Social Services.
More Info about Dolly Parton's Imagination Library in Dare County:
Since 2008, Children & Youth Partnership has been providing age-appropriate books monthly to enrolled children (ages birth-5) through Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. With nearly 2,000 children ages birth-five in Dare County, Children & Youth Partnership continues to partner with the community to bring high-quality books to every zip code in Dare County.
- Check out our Imagination Library FAQ Sheet to learn more about Imagination Library in Dare County.
- Imagination Library books CANNOT BE FORWARDED to new addresses or out of the county, so it's important that we keep an accurate address on file for your child. If your child receives Imagination Library books and you move (whether you move within Dare County or out of the county), please let us know as soon as possible.
- It only costs $27 to sponsor one Dare County child to receive books for a year. CYP welcomes donations as we continue to raise money for this worthwhile initiative. Interested in donating? Contact (252)441-0614, mail your donation to CYP at 534 Ananias Dare Street, Manteo, NC 27954 (Memo: Imagination Library), or visit darekids.org/donate and list Dolly Parton's Imagination Library as the program that you would like to support.
- Dolly Parton's Imagination Library in Dare County is a community-funded program. It would not be possible without the generosity of our local businesses, organizations, and individuals.
- In the Fall of 2017, the North Carolina Partnership for Children, in collaboration with the state legislature and the Dollywood Foundation, worked together to expand Dolly Parton's Imagination Library statewide. Through this new expansion, Children & Youth Partnership for Dare County was able to eliminate its current waiting list of children, and increase enrollment into the program in Dare County. While nearly half of the children in the program are still funded by local community donations, funds provided by the state legislature through the North Carolina Partnership for Children have helped to fund new program participants since 2017.
- Thanks to the expansion in 2017, all counties in North Carolina offer Dolly Parton's Imagination Library to their residents. If you live in North Carolina (but not in Dare County), you can still complete a registration at the link above to receive books from the Imagination Library affiliate in your county.