Imagine needing to choose between buying diapers or putting gas in your car. Or having to miss work because you don’t have enough diapers to give to your childcare provider. Or trying to wash a dirty disposable diaper because you don't have any fresh ones for your baby.
We know this is a real need for families in Dare County, and Children & Youth Partnership for Dare County (CYP) is responding to this need by working with others to launch CYP’s Diaper Bank – A Change for the Better. Believing that all children deserve equal care and basic necessities, we plan to supply diapers to families in need. Our goal is to eliminate the diaper need in Dare County and help improve children’s lives continually through community support.
Why is CYP addressing Diaper Need?
Diaper need – the lack of a sufficient supply of diapers to keep a baby or child clean, dry, and healthy – is a significant problem in Dare County that is expected to grow as our community continues to feel the effects of COVID. Right now:
- Infants/Toddlers require 8-12 diapers a day, costing nearly $100 a month for families. This is only for one child, so families with multiple young children can see that number double or triple.
- Diapers cannot be purchased with food stamps or WIC. While they are able to be purchased with Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance, less than a quarter of families living below the Federal Poverty Level actually receive TANF.
- One in three American families has difficulty affording diapers at all.
- Most childcare programs require parents to provide disposable diapers in order for their infant/toddler to attend.
- Nearly 75% of families who reported not being able to provide clean, dry diapers for their child felt that they were not good parents.
- Lack of adequate clean diapers can lead to severe diaper rash and excessive crying that, when coupled with the stress of living in need, can lead to child abuse.
How will CYP be distributing diapers and wipes that are purchased/received?
We know that these are hard times for families in our community, and we at CYP want to help. During our diaper drive-thru/pick-up events, Dare County families will receive FREE diapers to help with their diapering needs. While supplies last, diaper sizes available are newborn to size 6, with a limit of two packs per family at each event.
Here's what you do:
1) Arrive at the Center for CYP (534 Ananias Dare Street, Manteo) and remain in your car.
2) Call upon your arrival to let the staff member know your size needs -- 252-441-0614.
3) Staff will gather your diapers and bring them outside to a designated table in the parking lot. Please remain in your car during this time.
4) Once the staff member has returned to the porch/office, you an get out of your car and pick-up your diapers.
*Staff will be sanitizing their hands and using masks while collecting your diapers*
How Can You Help us Make a Change for the Better?
Right now, you can help by donating funds or goods to this effort.
- To donate tax-deductible funds toward the purchase of diapers, you can:
- Click here to visit CYP's Donate page. Please be sure to select CYP's Diaper Bank as the purpose of your donation.
- Mail a check to CYP at 534 Ananias Dare Street, Manteo, NC 27954. Please put 'CYP's Diaper Bank' in the Memo line.
- To donate unopened diapers, you can:
- Check our AmazonSmile Charity List to place an order of any size to be sent to our address.
- Drop off unopened packages of diapers or wipes to the Center for CYP in Manteo, or one of our diaper collection bins. They are currently located at the Outer Banks Family YMCA in Nags Head, Hotline Too in Nags Head, and Food-A-Rama in Manteo.*
*Please call ahead (252-441-0614), as staff members are not at the office every day as we continue to work remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic.*
- Hold a diaper drive benefiting CYP's Diaper Bank. See more information below about how to do that!
What is a Diaper Drive?
A diaper drive is like a food drive, only with diapers, and can be hosted by individuals, businesses, or organizations in-person or virtually. With a diaper drive you can set the amount of days/weeks/months that you hold it. Then, during the time of your drive, people can bring in their donations of diapers and place them in a collection box (or wherever you have designated) to receive donations. After your drive ends, you can get in touch with us at CYP about how to get the diapers to us, whether we pick them up from you, or you deliver them to us*.
For tips on how to organize your OWN Diaper Drive, check out CYP's Diaper Drive Toolkit!
*Please note that a staff member is not currently at the office all of the time due to the current pandemic, so please call ahead if you are planning to deliver any materials to the Center for CYP in Manteo.*
We hope you'll join us in making a Change for the Better!
Thank you to these wonderful individuals, businesses, churches, and organizations for helping us make a Change for the Better!
- Angela & Drew Owens
- Ann K. McDanel
- Ann Smith
- Ascencion Music Academy
- Ashley Hoggard
- Avery Harrison
- Bailey Mitchell
- Barbara Becker
- Barkley Plumbing, Inc.
- Bonnie Brumbeloe
- Carol Riggin
- Cheryl Ford
- Chicahauk Property Owners Association
- Christie McEwan
- Cindy McGann
- Cozy Kitchens
- Cub Scout Pack 116, KDH
- Debbie Montgomery
- Deborah Ashe
- Dena Wiggins
- Elisa Palmer
- Employees of PNC Bank
- Food Bank of the Albemarle
- Free Grace Church of Christ
- Harris Teeter, Kitty Hawk
- Heidi Velazquez
- Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
- Home Solutions of Carolina, Inc.
- Jan Wilson
- Jamie Wegener
- Jane Soluri
- Jennifer Alexander
- J. Keith Letchworth
- Joanne Adams
- Jody Preiser
- Jonathan Wark
- Kayla von Briel
- Kitty Hawk Baptist Church
- Kitty Hawk Kites staff
- KHUMC Women's Ministry Fellowship
- Liberty Christian Fellowship
- Lora Eddy
- Marion Midgett
- Mindy Travis
- Molly Harrison
- Nancy Griffin
- North Carolina Community Foundation
- Outer Banks Community Foundation
- Outer Banks Mommy & Me, LLC
- Outer Banks Presbyterian Church
- Outer Banks Woman's Club
- Pamela Waters
- Patricia Devos
- Rendy King
- Resort Realty of the Outer Banks
- Rev. Dr. Thomas H. Priest, Jr.
- Rina Rotunno
- Roanoke Island Presbyterian Church
- Robin South
- SAGA Community Focus
- Sara Hallas
- Sierra Williams
- Terri Hathaway
- Tristan Roderick
- And the many wonderful donors who purchased through our Amazon Smile Charity Wish List!