Imagine needing to choose between buying diapers or putting gas in your car. Or having to miss work because you don’t have enough diapers to give to your childcare provider. Or trying to wash a dirty disposable diaper because you don't have any fresh ones for your baby.
We know this is a real need for families in Dare County, and Children & Youth Partnership for Dare County (CYP) is responding to this need by working with others to launch CYP’s Diaper Bank – A Change for the Better. Believing that all children deserve equal care and basic necessities, we plan to supply diapers and wipes to families in need. Our goal is to eliminate the diaper need in Dare County and help improve children’s lives continually through community support.
Why is CYP addressing Diaper Need?
Diaper need – the lack of a sufficient supply of diapers to keep a baby or child clean, dry, and healthy – is a significant problem in Dare County that is expected to grow as our community continues to feel the effects of COVID. Right now:
- Infants/Toddlers require 8-12 diapers a day, costing nearly $100 a month for families. This is only for one child, so families with multiple young children can see that number double or triple.
- Diapers cannot be purchased with food stamps or WIC. While they are able to be purchased with Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance, less than a quarter of families living below the Federal Poverty Level actually receive TANF.
- One in three American families has difficulty affording diapers at all.
- Most childcare programs require parents to provide disposable diapers in order for their infant/toddler to attend.
- Nearly 75% of families who reported not being able to provide clean, dry diapers for their child felt that they were not good parents.
- Lack of adequate clean diapers can lead to severe diaper rash and excessive crying that, when coupled with the stress of living in need, can lead to child abuse.
How will CYP be distributing diapers and wipes that are purchased/received?
CYP will be distributing diapers and wipes in a Diaper Drive-Thru format for Dare County families in need. Our first event will be held on June 4, 2020 from 4:00pm-6:00pm (as supplies last) in the parking lot of Roanoke Island Presbyterian Church (855 Hwy 64 in Manteo). Traffic will enter from the main highway and we ask that people remain in their cars and in line while on site.
Stay tuned to this page for upcoming dates and times for additional distribution events on Roanoke Island and Hatteras Island.
How Can You Help us Make a Change for the Better?
Right now, you can help by donating funds or goods to this effort.
- To donate tax-deductible funds toward the purchase of diapers and wipes, you can:
- Click here to visit CYP's Donate page. Please be sure to select CYP's Diaper Bank as the purpose of your donation.
- Mail a check to CYP at 534 Ananias Dare Street, Manteo, NC 27954. Please put 'CYP's Diaper Bank' in the Memo line.
- To donate unopened diapers and/or wipes, you can:
- Check our AmazonSmile Charity List to place an order of any size to be sent to our address.
- Drop off unopened packages of diapers or wipes to the Center for CYP in Manteo. Please call ahead (252-441-0614), as staff members are not at the office every day as we continue to work remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Hold a diaper drive benefiting CYP's Diaper Bank. See more information below about how to do that!
What is a Diaper Drive?
A diaper drive is like a food drive, only with diapers and wipes, and can be hosted by individuals, businesses, or organizations. With a diaper drive you can set the amount of days/weeks/months that you hold it. Then, during the time of your drive, people can bring in their donations of diapers and wipes and place them in a collection box (or wherever you have designated) to receive donations. After your drive ends, you can get in touch with us at CYP about how to get the diapers to us, whether we pick them up from you, or you deliver them to us.
To organize a diaper drive:
- First, get permission from the school, church, organization or business that you want to hold the drive.
- Work with them to set the dates for the drive.
- Promote the diaper drive however you can with posters, flyers, letters, emails, newsletter, bulletin announcements, or social media.
- Let us know how we can help!
- After you collect the diapers call us and we will come pick them up or you can deliver them to our office!
*Please note that a staff member is not currently at the office all of the time due to the current pandemic, so please call ahead if you are planning to deliver materials to the Center for CYP.
We hope you'll join us in making a Change for the Better!
Thank you to these wonderful individuals, businesses, churches, and organizations for helping us make a Change for the Better!
- Angela & Drew Owens
- Ann Smith
- Ascencion Music Academy
- Bonnie Brumbeloe
- Cheryl Ford
- Christie McEwan
- Cozy Kitchens
- Deborah Ashe
- Food Bank of the Albemarle
- Free Grace Church of Christ
- Home Solutions of Carolina, Inc.
- Jane Soluri
- Jennifer Alexander
- J. Keith Letchworth
- Kitty Hawk Baptist Church
- KHUMC Women's Ministry Fellowship
- Liberty Christian Fellowship
- Marion Midgett
- Molly Harrison
- Nancy Griffin
- Outer Banks Presbyterian Church
- Pamela Waters
- Patricia Devos
- Rendy King
- Rina Rotunno
- Sierra Williams
- And the many wonderful donors who purchased through our Amazon Smile Charity Wish List!